All text and images copyright relictus.co.uk 2018

Kirchmöser Kaserne

Constructed in 1915 as a powder factory to make explosives for the German war effort in World War One, the buildings shown here are a section of the factory known as the 'Feuerwerkslaboratorium' which produced primers and hand grenades. With the end of the Great War, Deutsche Reichsbahn the German state railway operator took over the site and used the Feuerwerkslaboratorium as its central school for the education of apprentices. After the end of World War Two, the Russians arrive in the now divided Germany. The Feuerwerkslaboratorium then becomes a barracks for GSSD (Gruppe der Sowjetischen Streitkräfte in Deutschland - Group of Soviet Forces in Germany) troops until their departure in 1993.