The remains of the coal mine at Wendel were born out of the merger of two mines, Wendel and Vuillemin. The first shaft at Wendel was sunk in 1865 and the first at Vuillemin in 1867. They became operational in 1869 and 1876, respectively. The Vuillemin shafts worked until 1968 with the Wendel shafts carrying on until 1989, the whole mine finally closing on 31 May 1991. Today, a museum, 'La Mine, musée du carreau Wendel' occupies the site.