All text and images copyright relictus.co.uk 2018

Victoria Arches

The Victoria Arches were built in 1838 to support a new road built alongside the River Irwell in Manchester. The arches found many different uses over the years, including; air raid shelters, public toilets, electrical equipment testing and used by various businesses including Thomas Cook & Son who had access to the arches from their premises above and made use of the landing stages below the arches. The arches were closed to the public for good when the public toilets closed in 1967.