All text and images copyright relictus.co.uk 2018

St George's Hospital

St George's Lunatic Asylum open on the 1 October 1818. The patient population was comprised of pauper, charitable and fee-paying cases. During World War One, the hospital took on extra psychiatric patients from other asylums so that they could perform military hospital duties. The hospital was modernised throughout the 1950's and 60's. Around this time drug therapies were introduced that meant more patients could be treated in the community, therefore reducing the inpatient population. From 1992 St George's was wound down until closure in 1995. Services transferred to the new hospital site adjacent to St George's or County Hospital.