St. Brigid's Hospital
St. Brigid's Hospital is a former mental hospital in Ballinasloe, Ireland. The hospital originally opened as the Connacht District Lunatic Asylum in 1833, becoming Ballinasloe District Lunatic Asylum in 1850. The X-shaped hospital, designed by William Murray, had new wings added in 1871 and 1882, in an attempt to ease overcrowding. By November 1900, the population of the asylum had reach 1,165 despite a design-capacity of just 840. In 1950 the hospital received its final name of St. Brigid's Hospital. Also at this time, the hospital population topped out at around 2,000 patients. With the introduction of deinstitutionalisation at the end of the 1980s, the population declined as more patients were treated in the community. The hospital finally closed in 2013.