'Ville Sbertoli' owes its name to the psychiatrist Agostino Sbertoli who founded the hospital in 1968. What started out as a single villa soon became two villas, hence the 'Ville'. Designed from the outset as a 'nursing home' for patients with psychiatric disorders. As the hospital grew, it took on the form and function of a village set within a large park. Agostino died in 1898 upon which the asylum passed to his son, Nino. In 1920, Nino put the site up for sale and eventually, the provincial government of Pistoia purchases it. The hospital continues in operation largely without change until 1978 and the passing of 'Law 180'. The hospital closed in 1990.