Countess of Chester Hospital
The former psychiatric wing of the Countess of Chester Hospital had many names in the past; Cheshire County Asylum, Chester Asylum, Upton Mental Hospital, Deva Hospital and West Chester Hospital. Opening on the 25 August 1829 and grew steadily in size which additions and extensions added in; 1849, 1857-63, 1870, 1892-96, 1912, 1915, the 1920's and 30's. In the 1970's the site was designated as the location for a new district hospital where all services could be co-located, and construction began to the south. The West Chester Hospital was officially renamed by Charles, Prince of Wales and Diana, Princess of Wales as the Countess of Chester Hospital on 30 May 1984. With the advent of 'Care in the Community' the population of the psychiatric hospital dwindled. As the new psychiatric unit named Bowmere opened the old psychiatric hospital closed entirely in 2005. Today, only the original 1829 building survives and remains in use. New homes have been built on the rest of the site.