Birch Hill Hospital
Rochdale Union Workhouse as it was originally known, was designed by architects; George Woodhouse and Edward Potts. Officially opened on 19 December 1877 and at the cost of £85,000. In 1902, a 172-bed infirmary was added to the workhouse. Like many hospitals at the time, it was partly requisitioned by the War Office for use as a military hospital during the First World War. In the Second World War, the hospital saw use as part of the Emergency Hospital Service. With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital became known as Birch Hill Hospital and the running taken over by Rochdale NHS Trust. The 'real' Birch Hill closed in 2013. A newer, smaller hospital now stands to the northwest of the original.